[vdr] Re: AW: EPG scan cause high load and AC3 drop outs

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 10:04:03AM +0100, Christian Jacobsen wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Unfortunatly it is still not better after testing the things mentioned.
>
> Maybee it is the high IRQ load mentined here togehter with sharing
> interrupts !?
> (My primary DVB-s shares the IRQ with the Onboard Intel 815 graphics card -
> see below)
> I saw that too on Friday while testing.
>
> > The bitstreamout plugin uses the VDR interface for getting the TS
> > of the AC3 stream from the DVB card.   Together with the data streams
> > for EPG this may sum up.
>
> Could it be that there is is a problem in that part of VDR (in my
> configuration) ?
> Maybee some kind of buffer could help ?

IMHO there is nothing what VDR or the bitstreamout plugin can do.

> > hmmm .. 800-1000 is really three times more than I suspect.  IMHO
> > the driver + firmware should be able to transport one TS frame
> > aka 188 bytes at once ... and together with the appropiate buffer
> > within the fimrware (let's say 1024 bytes) it should be possible
> > to decrease the needed IRQ's and the calls of the IRQ handler
> > in the driver.
>
> Or that the Driver has to be changed ?

IMHO ... _yes_, it has to be changed.  AFAICS from your log files
send to me, the are unmotivated errors and longer drop outs within
the TS stream received from the primary DVB card (initial error
followed by a `Denkpause' of the driver/firmware).
IMHO this is a bug in the driver/firmware.

@Klaus: Do you have connections to the drivers developrer to get
        this debuged and (hopefully) fixed?

Maybe somewhere a lock/unlock pair is missed at the output ring buffer
or one of the IRQ handlers isn't fully thread safe.  OR ... something
is broken in the firmware, that means the TS stream mapped into
PC memory space, is sometimes broken (maybe a temperature problem or
a real firmware bug).

      Werner