[vdr] Re: Which motherboard for a vdr box ? (just few question)

Dirk Wiebel a écrit:

Hello,

I made a research on the msi-6368. It look good and easy to buy in France.

I have such a board since 10/2001. I am/was very happy with it, but in the last weeks some booting problems occured -- no start with nvram-wakeup every 4th start. New PSU, no changes. When I connected the 80mm CPU fan directly to the PSU, it seems to work. MSI does have a problem with some weak capacitors, according to the usenet. I hope it will run fine now, but I still have the feeling that 2 years will be the maximum lifetime for this board... If the phenomenon occurs again, I will report it to you.

But, i have few questions :

1. i did not find any tv-out. did you use another card ?
There ist neither a TV out, nor an AGP Slot. Only a PCI graphics accelerator with TV Out will help you out, but you will "waste" a potential DVB slot...

2. is the irda working fine ?
LIRC at the internal serial port works fine here, I have no irda equipement.

3. Did you get dolby 5.1 sound ?
Onboard sound is only standard stereo. Again: This will cost you a PCI slot.

General: The board is nicely to set up, has 3 PCI slots, is absolutely sufficient for a home server with VDR. RAM performance is _really_ slow, as the graphics chip uses most of the SDRAM bandwith. But for using Mozilla, OpenOffice, VDR, Samba, and home-LAMP, it is absolutely ok.

Regards,

Dirk

I absoluty want an 5.1 sound. May an Asus or an Elite card ...