[vdr] Cooling HDs in a VDR system - HD sleep modes

Hi,

I´ve built a 'silent' VDR system with two hard disks: A 5400 RPM boot HD
and a Seagate Barracuda HD and which runs at 7200 RPM. The last one is
currently cooled with an (admitted) cheap HD fan - and cheap means quite
loud compared to my Super Silent Pro CPU cooler...

As I have set all HDs to go into standby mode with hdparm -s 12 after
one minute to make the system quiet, I am not really sure if the
Barracude still needs this additional cooling.
I know from the past, when 7200 HDs were quite new, that they got very
hot - and I lost 3 IBM-SCSI-HDs, each after one month, until I finally
really decided to cool it - then it worked for years... But I also know
that time and hardware has changed...

Additionally, the Barracuda is only 'active' for a maximum time of 4
hours for recording or playback, but as I also use (like most of you) a
desktop case, there is not really much free room for air.

Do you have any experiences on this?
(How) do you cool your hard disks?
Are there any circuits around that turn on a HD fan when a HD wakes up
from standby mode or temperature sensors that control the fan?
Any further experiences concerning drop outs on recordings if a sleeping
HD (in my case the boot HD) in the system is being woken up while
recording?

Thanks for any replys

Jörg