[vdr] AW: Re: Cooling HDs in a VDR system - HD sleep modes

Hallo,

> I'v got a (cheap) fan attached on top of the drive running at 5V. There is
> no direct contact with the case to cool the drive. The drive is suspended
> between elastic wire. (very silent!!)

Something like that is the also sold by www.noisecontrol.de

They have got a discframe they call NoVibes. In that discframe the disc is
suspended between rubber bands. I use that with my IDE Disc and it is _very_
silent. Previous a maxtor 80 GB 5400 rpm and now a Samsung 120GB - the
Samsung can't be heard even if I am standing next to the VDR :)
This does not make the head-moving-noise smaller - it only silences the
sound of the running disc !!
Offcourse I use the one without fan - I don't know how silent the Fan
version is. But I am sure they will tell you per Mail :)

If it is too loud or you want to go for another solution you can use
something like this for controling your fan :
http://www.noisemagic.de/info/nmt-2/info.htm (also sold at noiscontrol)

That is a very good solution as with 5V the Fan is running very slow and if
it gets hot in there the Fan will run faster :) And it has got a 12V startup
"kick" so that the Fan always will start (as long as it is still "alive").
I use that too and I am very satisfied as I can't hear my VDR from 2 Meters
away :)

Greetings
Christian