[vdr] Re: OT: High quality Linux sound card

Hello, Dave Chapman,

>Hi,
>
>Apologies if this query is too off-topic for this list, but I hope
>someone here can help me.
The people on the ml
http://music.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/linux-audio-dev
can help you much more, e.g. this is THE ml for audio-questions

>I'm looking for a good quality sound card to link a Linux PC to my
>existing hi-fi amplifier and speakers.  This will be used for three main
>purposes:
>
>1) Playback of DVB radio stations (48KHz MPEG-1, Layer 2 audio)
>
>2) Playback of 16 bit, 44.1KHz CD audio
>
>3) Digital recording of FM radio from my standalone FM analogue tuner
>(Denon TU-260L).
>
>My choices seem to be either:
>
>a) one of the new 24bit/96KHz soundcards with built-in D/A and A/D
>convertors (e.g. Terratec EWX 24/96); or
I have this card, it is very well supported by ALSA (ice1712), and has a very good sound quality.

>b) a cheap 16 bit soundcard with digital I/O and external D/A and A/D
>convertors.
This will be the more expensive solution if you want to have a good quality! But you can't get "electric hums" (german "Brummschleife").

>I am assuming that any digital resampling (e.g.between 44.1KHz and
>48KHz) before the A/D conversion stage is a bad idea, but it seems hard
>to get the facts about which soundcards do this.
The EWX 24/96 can at least record 44,1/48/96 kHz

>Can anyone give me any recommendations for a "Linux-friendly" solution
>to my needs, or point me to a website/forum/mailing list where these
>issues are discussed?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dave.
>

>--