[vdr] LAN cable length / Streaming Plug-In

Hi,

in the last days I installed my LAN (Ethernet at 100 MBit/s) at home and
finally got the streaming plug-in (v0.1.1) work with the Windows VDR
Stream Player (www.m-i-b-u.de/vdrsp). Unfortunately, there are blocks
and interruptions in the transmission.

The Systems:
- VDR 1.1.26 with DVB 1.0.0-RC2 on SuSE 8.0, Elitegroup K7S5A mainboard
(I mention this as this one is quite buggy)
- Windows XP

For the connection, I use two 'normal' CAT 5 cables (20m + around 10m
for a network outlet/box = 30m) connected to a 20m cross-over CAT 5
cable. Directly connecting the both PCs with the 20m cross-over cable
gives a perfect picture, but then, the cable is visible in the whole
stairway :-(. Connecting the two 20m cables with an network cable
adapter already causes blocks and interruptions, but not as much as if I
use the complete connection over 50m.

How can I avoid these problems? Is the reason for the problems the
overall cable really the length of around 50m? Does a switch help
'amplifying' the signal? Or can there be transmission errors that are
not corrected by the used UDP protocol (caused by other cables near to
the LAN cable)?

Thanks for any replies and ideas

Jörg