[vdr] Re: VDR/UK Nova-T/dxr3 issues

On Friday 04 April 2003 1:16 pm, Morfsta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my first posting to the list, and I'd like to say I'm impressed
> with VDR, its apparent that a lot of hard work has gone into it. I will be
> happy to contribute where I can - firstly I have written a script to pull
> EPG listings from "xmltv" and feed them into VDR. This provides 4 days of
> EPG information.
>
> I am running the latest VDR dev, with dxr3 plugin and Nova-T card am
> having problems with recording radio. It appears to record, but upon
> playback the process hangs (even though the disk appears to read), with no
> visual output and no response to commands.  The only way to restart VDR is
> through a kill -9 to the process.

The only times I see this is with a recording when the signal has been bad.
Often a jump forward/back wil restore the replay. I've not checked as to
whether the disk appears to reading here though.

> Also, I have seen this discussed before, but there appears to be problems
> with VDR/DXR3 and getting 16:9 broadcasts with the Nova-T in the UK.
> Whichever settings I use (4:3/16:9 in VDR/em3800setup) I can't seem to
> get a true 16:9 picture on my widescreen display - rather always 4:3
> letterbox.

There was a post from Richard Walker on 1.2.03 'Using VDR with UK digital
terrestrial (problrms and observations)' that gave an explanation of this.

Sorry, can't copy it, as my network is dead ATM, but you should find it in the
archive.

> Finally, I can't receive BBC2 from the Crystal Palace transmitter even
> though all the other channels are perfect (and I can receive it with the
> Windows Hauppauge app). Is there a problem with the channels.conf file?
> Does anyone know where I can get a technical list of frequencies and PIDs
> for the Freeview service? I can't seem to find them on the net... I tried
> using dvbtune and this seems extremely flakey, sometimes it finds channels
> and other time it completely misses them

dvbtune works fine here, but sometimes misses channels - again I put this down
to a bad aerial. xml2vdr gives no output with the old version I have, but a
previous version works OK.

scan from DVB/apps also gives o/p here, but you'll need to compile separately
- ISTR it needed minor mods, but maybe only card number.

HTH

Andy