[vdr] Re: error using mplayer and dxr3

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Stefan Huelswitt wrote:

> On 06 Apr 2003 Morfsta <morfsta@irmplc.com> wrote:
>
> > OK! Give this a try, let me know how you get on!
> >
> > --- player-mplayer.c    2003-04-06 13:03:21.000000000 +0100
> > +++ player-mplayer.c.patched    2003-04-06 13:04:37.000000000 +0100
> [...]
>
> Well, I basically understand what the patch does (sending to
> magic word to a socket), but some questions?
>
> Is this the designed way of closing the dxr3 device?

I don't know - it is a rewrite of the dxr3 perl script that accompanies
the dxr3 plugin dxr3_ux_client.pl.

> Is it a good idea to close the device without notifying the dxr3
> plugin? VDR surely would crash if someone closed it's device
> silently. Any comments from the dxr3 developers?

I guess this must be the right way to do it as it communicates with the
dxr3 plugin via the unix domain socket in /tmp.

> What effects does this code have on a machine which actualy lacks
> a dxr3 card?

It will likely render the mplayer plugin unusable. Only apply this if you
have a dxr3 card. I am not really a good coder, and must admit to not
knowing a great deal about how VDR works yet. So, perhaps someone could
tidy it up - put it in a better place in the code, and check for the
presence of a dxr3 card? But I am happy, because it means I can watch
movies directly from VDR (and it also keeps VDR running to record stuff at
the same time!)

One problem I haven't solved is that it is not possible to use AC3 with
mplayer with the patch. It makes the machine run slowly and causes audio
problems on return to VDR...

Cheers,

Morf