[vdr] Re: Building VDR for North America

"Stefaan Coddé" wrote:
> Andrey Vlassov wrote:
>

> >I am interested in building VDR but stable on missing information
> regarding North America region.

[...]

> Too bad : the VDR software works only with a few DVB-S, C or T cards,
> mainly Technotrend based.
> The US doesn't use MPEG2 as is used on the european satellites.

1. Actually there _are_ some DVB transmissions via sat to NA. But the last
time I checked it, only very little was FTA - most was subscription-TV. You
might want to look around at www.lyngsat.com for the services which are
available via sat at your location.

2. I don't knowhow easily it is obtainable, but Hauppauge sells its DVB-S
cards (Nexus and Nova AFAIK) in the US.

3. Of course, if I were living in the US, I'd prefer ATSC (hmm... correct
acronym??). Which is also MPEG2--based but often in a higher resolution
(HDTV) and quality. But then - VDR probably won't run with the necessary
cards.

my 2c

    Wiljo