[vdr] Re: DVB subtitling

On 8 May 2003, Oskar Signell wrote:

>tor 2003-05-08 klockan 13.52 skrev Jan Ekholm:
>
>> Has anyone worked on implementing DVB subtitles as a plugin for VDR? Not
>> teletext ones, but the "real" ones, as defined in ETSI 300 743. I'd be
>> interested in helping out and at the same time learn some DVB technology.
>> Has anyone started upon such a quest or know of some old dead/dying
>> project?
>
>There has been quite a lot of discussion about this topic earlier. Some
>pointers:

I read these threads a while ago, but AFAIK they just discussed that
something should be started, but nothing was head of it since?

<snip stuff about dvbtools>

>Some technical data can be found here:
>http://www.softel.co.uk/downloads/DVB_Subtitling_FAQ.pdf

Yeah, I have that one. Pretty nice for a brief overview, but then it
starts the sell Softel products. :) The ETSI standard is pretty good, but
I do have a lot to learn, although VDR makes it pretty easy to just get
down to the nitty gritty details of the subtitle decoding.

--
  The trouble with being a god is that you've got no one to pray to.
                                        -- Terry Pratchett, Small Gods