[vdr] Re: Shutdown frontend for saving power and heat

----- Original Message -----
From: "Reinhard Walter Buchner" <rw.buchner@freenet.de>

> As I have pointed out before, you *CANNOT* "measure"
> the wattage of the DVB card like that.
> (...)
> There is only *one* way to measure this and that is directly
> at the DVB card using a riser / adapter card. All other ways
> simply mean "Wer mist mißt, mißt einfach mist" (for
> english speakers "junk in? junk out!").

You're totally right, if you're only interested in the exact power
dissipation of the single DVB card.

If you're interested in the comparision of different "software power
management" solutions, IMHO the idea of measuring at the AC-line is not too
bad.  Sure, you won't get exact values, and you can't choose a PSU from
those (as you can't see spikes and surges),  but you will get a rough idea -
and that's all we want for now.

Christian