[vdr] Re: Finnish translations for VDR - a finetuning patch

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Lauri Tischler wrote:

> Niko Tarnanen wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Some of the Finnish translations have bothered me a while, so I made some
> > finetuning and created a patch against vdr-1.1.32 for the others to use:
> >
> > 	www.hut.fi/~ntarnane/vdr/Finnish_translation.diff
> >
> > So all the Finnish speaking users, could you please review the changes
> > I've made and tell us what you think about them. If you come up with more
> > descriptive translation, don't hesitate to suggest it. Basically I've
> > replaced the verb "nauhoittaa" with "tallentaa", since we don't use tapes
> > anymore to save the recordings. There is one translation on line 1874
> > which is still unclear to me, perhaps someone who knows where it is
> > used can fix it.
>
> Ummm, in my dictionary
> 'nauhoittaa' = to record
> 'tallentaa'  = to store

  I would like to vote for Niko and changes here, as I too think that
'nauhoittaa' translates into English more like 'to tape', and tapes are
not used, not in my computer anyway, someone might have a tape storage
robot :-) emulating a disk.

  'tallentaa' I think is a good word to use, see this name for
an association of sound and picture recording producers: 'Suomen Ääni- ja
kuva*tallenne*tuottajat ÄKT ry'

  So I am all for the patch.  It has kind of bothered me a bit too.

Btw.  line 1874 'Recording' is the title of Recording setup menu (Margin
at start/stop, priorities etc.)  'Tallennus' olisi hyvä.

--
Foreca Ltd                                           Jaakko.Hyvatti@foreca.com
Pursimiehenkatu 29-31 B, FIN-00150 Helsinki, Finland     http://www.foreca.com