[vdr] Re: J2 to Scart

Am Mon, 2003-05-26 um 23.57 schrieb Sebastian Kemper:
> Hello fellas,
>
> I got some questions regarding the adapter mentioned in the header. I
> want it no matter what, because I got NTSC DVDs and want them to
> playback on my PAL TV (and yes it is able to use RGB).
>
> 1. On www.vdrportal.de they suggest using an extra filter for the Red,
> Green and Blue cables. Another website doesn't mention the extra filters
> (http://www2.arnes.si/~mthale1/rgb.html). Are they really necessary?

No. But they improve picture-quality as they filter HF-spikes. I don't
use them for my parent's box.

> 2. The cables I use are all shielded. Do I have to connect all "shields"
> to the 10th pin (ground)?

Yes and no - see below.

> 3. I already built the scart adapter. I tried to build something to
> connect to the J2 block. Didn't work. Has anybody a solution how to
> connect to it easily? Maybe a link to a German shop where I can get a
> good and easy to use adapter for J2.

I just took an old serial-DB25 slot-panel from old AT-board and put the
2x5-jumper onto J2.

Then I soldered a SCART-cable with a DB25-female and two resistors
inside. As the serial-adaptor doesn't have pin10 connected, I soldered
ground on the housing of the DB25-female - that way it is connected to
the housing of the VDR-box.

Rene