[vdr] Re: Hardware project: MPEG2 decoder with ethernet adapter

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 09:46:54PM +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:
> Hello Matthias,
>
> Sunday, June 1, 2003, 9:12:33 PM, you wrote:
>
> MS> I don't think that multilayer PCBs are "cheap" in small quantitys.
> MS> Taking aside that you first have to develop/test a PCB-design (->
> MS> hardware development isn't as cheap as software development)
>
> If you would be willing to do the software work, people like Hermann
> and me would surely be working on the hardware.

For me it's in the wrong sub-section of software development. My area is
Perl, Web(Mostly Underlaying part(s)) & Database-Development.
Driver/System development would be something new, and i guess there are
people out there which are better in this field. :-)

Maybe it's something for the convergence-people, they (don't know if
it's the company or only the people) are developing a USB-MPEG2-Decoder,
maybe they can further develop that thing.

> Manufcturing is a different story. If it needs to be cheap, it needs
> to be a plain PCB. Any mechanical work and/or wiring is quite
> expensive. I don't know the price of the MPEG-hardware, but the whole
> FPGA-stuff + PCB + silicon dust + power brick is certainly below 150EUR.

I can't even guess what is needed to get a fully working "black box".
:-)

> MS> But i can only guess. I'm from the software development front. :-)
>
> I am not :-) I am more into hardware....

I'm sometimes amused that "the system" (i mean the whole economic
system) is working, so many different jobs and there are (normaly)
always people to do the different jobs. :-)

Bis denn