[vdr] Re: Hardware project: MPEG2 decoder with ethernet adapter

Hi,

Iīve been reading this thread an I was just wondering why a new type of hardware
would be neccessary for an mpeg/vdr breakout box (if this is what itīs all about).

Would using the PC/104 industry standard as plattform be an alternative?

The features you would get with standard components would be

- Ethernet connectivity
- HD via IDE<->CompactFlash (I think thatīs what the flash type is called)
- enough CPU power for decoding Mpeg/MP3/Divx
- passive cooling (making the box silent)
- small form-factor
- probably cheaper than designing and/or manufacturing from scratch
- IRDA
- LCD

Iīve even seen boards with TV-Out around (http://www.ibase-i.com.tw/ib510.htm).

For those who want to check:
- http://www.pyramid.de/d/builttosuit/cigarbox.shtml?id=1
- http://www.pyramid.de/d/builttosuit/cigarboxkonfigurationen.shtml

Iīm neither into software-design nor into hardware-design - just wanted to give
my 0.02 :)

Emre

--
info@emre.de              http://www.emre.de
UIN: 561260           PGP Key ID: 0xAFAC77FD