[vdr] Re: Hardware project: MPEG2 decoder with ethernet adapter

* Matthias Schniedermeyer (ms@citd.de) [030601 21:20]:

> > > It's out there. And it is called dbox2. :-)

Is it really possible to connect a dbox2 to the ethernet and use it as
frontend for vdr? As far as I know, a dbox, a playstation2, an Xbox and all
that nice thingies cannot be used for that because you first have to add a
mod chip and then get a special variant of linux etc. Thus making this
approach complicated and expensive.

> But i don't think a "private person" is able to invent the rounder
> wheel. Just think of how many pins the chip have? How do you wan't to
> connect them?

That doesn't concern me because we're doing hardware and software
development for a living and also have lots of experience with manufacturing
small and medium charges. I can only see two problems: Time and licence
costs. Time is of course a major problem since we're all very busy and
therefore, this thing could take a while. More annoying is the other
problem. It could be (haven't checked yet), that we can't get the nescessary
development tools or specifications because the chip vendors treat them as
trade secret. Of course, this project will never get the 1 million parts
volume that is nescessary to convince some vendors to cooperate.

Ciao,

Tobias

--
Tobias Haustein