[vdr] Re: Hardware project: MPEG2 decoder with ethernet adapter

Am Son, 2003-06-01 um 22.25 schrieb Tobias Haustein:
> * Emre Bastuz (info@emre.de) [030601 21:50]:
>
> > Would using the PC/104 industry standard as plattform be an alternative?
>
> Of course. But, one of us has spent months on finding the components that
> have the nescessary computing power, don't make any noise and are supported
> by linux.
>
> This PC costs some hundred euro and consumes about 100 W.
>
> I haven't validated prices for the MPEG decoder chips, yet, but from what
> I've seen it seems that the full device should be cheaper than the PC
> (though not that flexible ;-). From the data sheets that I've at hand, I'd
> say that the device would consume about 5-7 W.

I'm no hardware-guru, but what about some kind of Bt865 for video
output, a 16-bit D/A-converter for analogue audio, ethernet-chip,
µProcessor with EPROM holding the software using ffmpeg12 and
VTP-protocol for communicating with VDR?

One pin of µP used for SPDIF, another for a TSOP1738 for infrared.

This won't have the abilities of a small PC, but it would be a free,
programmable MediaClient independent from any NDAs. And it would only
need a small powerpack integrated in the plug.

Rene