[vdr] Re: Hardware project: MPEG2 decoder with ethernet adapter

hi

> The presentation says RGB IN not out. SCART out can also mean S-Video
> over SCART.

yes .. the presentation goes even furhter :-)
on page 6/9:

Comprehensive Video output support

? High Quality 4x10-Bit Video DAC
?    Simultaneous two S-Video or one S-Video
      with two composite outputs
?    Simultaneous RGB or YCbCr component
      output with one composite output
?    S-Video, Composite, YCbCr and SCART
      (RGB) with interlaced or non-interlaced
      scan output support

?    Supports wide range of worldwide video standards
?    N. America, Japan, Europe, Asia, Brazil, Uruguay &
      Paraguay, and Argentina.

> But it still does not do MPEG4 hardware decoding - this needs to be done
> in software, and even the 1 GHz C3 may be too slow for that, and it is not
> fanless.

this boards has an fan mounted, but the 600 mhz version is
fanless and even cheaper to :-)
and mpeg4/divix .. jep thats an problem .. but it could be that we
have only transcode to some sort of mpeg2 and let the rest to the chip

of course, on the board there is only one chinch connecter .. if we want
rgb out we need a little bit more ...
it seems they are not using a ball grid array case for the chip and in this
case it is relativly easy for an advanced user to solder wires to the right
pins and let the driver do the rest

in an VDR only environment we have only to deal with mpeg2 streams
and therefore NULL cpupower is needed, all is done in hardware and
even the 600 mhz would be enough
and for mpeg4 .. let the transcoding do the streamingserver and
play an nativ mpeg2 stream und smile :->

hermann