[vdr] Re: Hardware project: MPEG2 decoder with ethernet adapter

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 03:08:21AM +0200, Hermann Gausterer wrote:
> > Sounds like a great idea! I'm just trying to build a silent VDR device
> > based on a via-epia 1GHz board. It is geting pretty expensive (about 400
> > EUR
>
> sounds expensive to me, can you tell us what componets you are
> using and what they cost?
Way to expensive!!! I have not build the system yet as I'm still
inquireing about the components. Buying the wrong stuff is very
expensive... I'm planning to build an aluminum case with heatsinks on
the sides. The processor of the epia-M boards seams to be right on the
edge of the board. So I want to replace the fan with an aluminum block
and glue it onto the heatsink on the side. Hopefully this will get the
heat away from the cpu.
Parts I'm planning to use:
Mainboard VIA EPIA-M10000 1,0 GHz Mini ITX Nehemiah 174,00 Euro
110 W fanless PSU 135 Euro
extra usb-module to have usb-ports in front 9,50 Euro
IR-Sensor for the onboard connector 15,50 Euro
two slot riser card 19,90 Euro
DVD drive	round 50 Euro
parts for building the case; don't know the price yet.
The stuff mentioned above already adds up to roughly 405,00 Euro...

> > not including the DVB-card and there will be a lot of work to do to
> > build a case that gets the heat away from the cpu...
>
> got you a PCI riser for mounting the card parallel with the mainboard?
> (for slim case use) and/or an IRDA receiver?
>
> > Sorry. But if there is anything else I can do I'd love to help!
>
> of course you can ;-)
>
> i hope you have tried linux with the board?
Not yet, only read about it...
> i am interessted on the via vt1622
> can you locate on the board an make a snapshot with a (digi)cam?
I will once I finally buy the board. I think I know somebody I can
orrow a digicam from.

CU
	Oliver