[vdr] Re: Hardware project: MPEG2 decoder with ethernet adapter

> We thought of putting an ethernet adapter together with an MPEG2-decoder
> chip (e.g. an EM8300 or one of its better successors) into a very small
> case that can be directly attached to a standard TV set.

I started out to build a system that is functionally like what you say, but
uses standard (really cheap) audio/TV cabling.

Basically, I am trying to build a system that lets me put the media box in a
cabinet, only opened when I insert CDROMs or DVDs. I want an IR receiver in
each room, and a Hollywood card associated with each receiver; so when I
press the remote in one room, the OSD comes up on that TV only, and I can
play music, watch sat tv, etc.

What I really want goes a bit further, though; I want to be able to play music
in the sauna while someone else watches sat TV in another room. I figure the
one box should be able to stream out whatever media is on it to whatever
"station" I am at. (station = tv, speakers, remote receiver)

My philosophy has been that most people will trade digital-quality AV for
convenience; that it's better to have one box with everything in it, and
standard analog AV to each station in the house - as opposed to MPEG2
directly to each station.

NMM (http://graphics.cs.uni-sb.de/NMM/) looks promising, but I'm not sure if
it's mature enough yet to build on.

- Bud
"The threat of madness is the price of reason" - Susanne Langer