[vdr] Re: RGB output on J2:

Hi,

> Note to RGB:
> I will not combine the sp-dif with the RGB on one board due to the extra
> costs for the PCB design,

Well, it's just a matter of proper shielding (PCB traces) and
an additional buffer IC (for the coax). (Another point which
shows that the afore mentioned PCB from ebay isn't designed
very well. There is no top layer to shield the 1MHz digital
sound traces)

> second, my sp-dif solutrion will not contain a optical
> output cause optical  has more problems with jitter.

Sorry, but no, it doesn't. Have you scoped the output?
I see no difference in raw DVB output and and the output
of the TOSLINK (actually the input of my Denon amp)

> the coax solution offers just a better connection and
>I see no reason to pay extra...

Well, there is one simple reason: Optical is much more
common than coax input and if one (like me) has one
HiFi component that *only* has coax output,  these
people are out of luck with your solution.

Secondly the opto output provides galvanic isolation and
there is no *mess* to make it HiFi conform (both problems
are solved on my board, which has opto & coax digital out)

> toslink modules are not that cheap...for a lower quality
> connection. btw, using toslink modules is very easy.

TOSLink cost about 3 Euro each (good quality)

> RGB safety : I want a fool proof solution so..in case of
>voltage spikes or even short  circuit, the DVB card should
> stand it.

Already taken care of on my protection and signalsorter
piggyback PCB ;o))

Greetz,
Reinhard

---