[vdr] Re: DXR3 step by step howto?

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 12:27:28PM +0200, Jens Kohl wrote:
> Hello
>
> I want to build a VDR system with a Hauppauge Win-TV Nova and a DXR3
> Card from Creative. But my problems begin already with the dxr3-driver
> (I don't know how exactly recompile the kernel).  I've found a good
> (german) how-to for win-tv nexus cards but this do not help me with
> dxr3. A guidance for Debian would be best.

Here's a very quick, very dirty, and very off-the-top-of-my head guide
to Debian kernel recompilation and Dxr3 drivers :)

I'm assuming you have woody, so kernel 2.4.18 is the newest source
available unless you download it manually from sarge.

$ cd /usr/src
$ rm -r linux; # remove any old source tree or symlinks
$ apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.18 kernel-package
$ tar -xvjf kernel-source-2.4.18.tar.bz2
$ ln -s kernel-source-2.4.18 linux
$ cd linux
$ make menuconfig; # now choose any other kernel config you need
$ make-kpkg --revision=jens1 kernel_image

This will take anything from 2 minutes upwards, depending on CPU speed.
It'll leave a kernel image in the /usr/src directory which you can then
do:

$ dpkg - ../kernel-image-2.4.18_jens1_i386.deb

And it'll ask you lots of questions about LILO :)

Reboot, and you should now be running a custom kernel with matching
source in /usr/src/linux.

You have now reached the stage where you can compile the Dxr3 drivers.
"rm -r" any old Dxr3 unpacked source, so you are sure you're starting
from a pristine state...

Now follow the Dxr3 driver install instructions. and you'll end up with
the 3 magic files, em8300.o, adv717x.o, bt865.o. You can probably 'make
install' to put these in your modules dir - try a 'depmod -ae' to
rebuild the dependency info, and it should now be safe to

$ modprobe em8300

etc.

There are debian source-packages on the go for the drivers, but I always
found them more hassle than they were worth for the sake of 3 modules, a
perl script and a microcode file...

I've left this as a reply to the list, in case it helps other people -
I'm aware it's technically off-topic for VDR - sorry about that....

Have fun! :)

gdh