[vdr] Re: some observations and problems with 1.2.0

hm@seneca.muc.de wrote:

> 3. I am currently using a Freecam 2.018 for testing purposes before actually
> getting a Premiere license.  I get loads of error messages like
>
> Jun  1 18:04:01 linvdr vdr[24127]: ERROR: CAM: Read failed: slot 1, tcid 1
> Jun  1 18:04:06 linvdr vdr[24127]: CAM: FreeCAM2-018    , 01, 0602, 0602
>
> Most of the time I get the "Read failed" message.  On Premiere and ORF
> I get the EPG data but there is no picture and no sound. This may be a
> Freecam problem - it seems to think it needs a Smartcard.

Well, you _do_ need a smartcard to watch encrypted tv - anything else is
most likely illegal...

> BTW: In ca.conf, ORF is on 102 and Premiere on 101. In the channels.conf
> I kept from 1.1.33-mega (much nicer than the one in 1.2.0!), however,
> ORF is on 101? Is that on purpose? Does it hurt? As far as I understand,
> this only relates to which DVB card is responsible for the channel, right?

The Ca parameter indicates the provider, and since Premiere and ORF are basically
different providers, VDR uses different Ca parameters to distinguish them.
Not everybody who has subscribed to Premiere is able to watch ORF, and vice
versa. In "Setup/CICAM" you define which DVB device is able to decrypt which
Ca value. You may, of course, set one DVB device to decrypt both ORF and
Premiere.

> 5. A suggestion: If there is a double entry in channels.conf, is it
> possible to gracefully ignore the problem? There is an error message like
>
> Jun  1 17:44:13 linvdr vdr[23927]: ERROR: channel data not unique!
> Jun  1 17:44:13 linvdr vdr[23927]: ERROR: error in /video/channels.conf, line 222
>
> but all programs then have number 0 (zero), and you cannot switch channels
> and more. I can deal with it but this is not very mother-in-law friendly
> if you know what I mean.

I don't think your mother-in-law would use a text editor to mess with the
channels.conf. Once the file is correct this problem doesn't occur any more.

> Is /video/plugins/ now the standard for all plugin related configs? Funny
> because I was thinking today about having all configs in a separate
> directory instead of in the root dir under /video. I mean there are now
> more than 10 config files.

Actually each plugin can use its own subdirectory under /video/plugins,
but I don't know to what extent the various plugins use this feature.

> Irgendwas fällt mir bestimmt noch ein :-))

In that case you could make things a lot easier to handle if you
wrote _one_ item per message, with a descriptive subject (just "some
obervations..." doesn't really invite me to read one message out
of hundreds (with better subjects) ;-)

Klaus