[vdr] Re: Is there enough interrest in a mp3 player plugin for soundcard output?

> Am Samstag, 7. Juni 2003 14:12 schrieben Sie:
> > > a generic any{DD,AC3,LPCM,MPEG}-sound-to-alsa plugin would IMHO be
much

> > more
> >
> > > usefull.
> >
> > I think for AC3 there is another plugin.
> > the sense of the mentioned mp3-plugin is to be able to hear mp3,wav,ogg
> > etc. while the tv is showing the program. vdr is just used to control
the
> > playing.
>
> Isn't that the same with normal mp3-plugin too ? I think the idea was to
have
> a general alsa-output-plugin. I guess alsa can handle whatever it gets

the normal plugin uses the dvb card to do the sound output,
try to view a recording and play mp3 at the same time ;-)

> > > And forgett about OSS, it going to die, die, die. ;-)
> >
> > the oss emulation of alsa will survive i think ;-)
>
> No reason to write something for a deprecated interface ;)

pfff *g*

> What I do not understand is what the use of this would be. Normal TV-Sound
> goes to line-out of the dvb and mp3 over the soundcard ? Where is the use
if
> not all goes over the same device ?

if you have only one room, theere  may be no use ;-)
but what about transmitting the sound card output to a room you like,
without disturbing the tv viewer.
you can record movies and listen to mp3 at the same time.
maybe with timeshift this is possible right now, havent test it right now.

i had read a view mails over the weeks where  2 or 3 people ask for that
feature.

regards,
gunnar