[vdr] Re: CRC Check with sections

Gerald Raaf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> for people with problems described in this threads
> Re: [vdr] Re: BUG Report vdr 1.2.0pre1 and 1.1.33
> Re: [vdr] Re: Ringbuffer overflow
> Re: [vdr] Re: Irdeto Allcam 4.6 CI doesn't work anymore after upgrading
> from 1.0.4 to 1.2.0
>
> perhaps you can try this two patches, one part for DVB loading and one
> for VDR. The DVB diff, is only needed if you are using Klaus driver
> snapshot from today with hw_sections=1.
>
> The little patch corrected the following problems for me,
> buffer empty messages from dvb driver (i activate the printk in DVB
> driver, which where disabled last month),
> this is from DVB-Changelog
> "
>
>         * driver/av7110/av7110.c: commented out "buffer empty" printk
> "
>
> and it corrects the ringbuffer overflow messages i get, which didn't
> appear any more.
> Sometimes i get get some disturbed records fta and crypted channels
> (Problem -> out of sync or glitches)
>
> it doesn't correct the cam read errors, they still exists.
>
> The patch is for plain-vanilla vdr-1.2.1. Perhaps some others with no
> problems could test it and report if it works.
> If this is not a to big change and it helps and do not disturb anything,
> perhaps Klaus could add it to vdr-1.2.1.

I strongly advise against using hw_sections=0 in the driver!
This apparently heavily disrupts recordings done with full reatured cards.
Anybody who observes problems with recordings or Transfer Mode please make
sure you use hw_sections=1! If you use the driver from

  ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/vdr/Developer/linux-dvb.2003-06-08.tar.bz2

(without modifications!!) you will get the latest firmware (which fixes problems
some plugins had with large OSDs after the "share SDRAM fix") and the default for
hw_sections will be 1.

I don't yet know why hw_sections=0 causes problems with recordings and Transfer Mode,
but currently I can only strongly suggest not to use it!

Klaus