[vdr] Re: Annoying EMERGENCY EXITs

At Dienstag, 10. Juni 2003 22:01 Rene Bartsch wrote:
> we have a nice weather out here with lightnings.
>
> This causes VDR to restart and reload the driver once per minute for the
> last hour! This also causes high load on the server up to 100% (zig-zag
> scanning from driver up to 40%, insmodding 90 %, ...)
>
> So I think it is important to overwork the error-handling in VDR.
>
> VDR should differ which kind of error it has. I think only one out of
> 200 hundred restarts is really caused by the driver.

I guess all of these restarts are caused by "broken data streams" or huge
panic levels after trying to sync a channel. This should IMHO be overworked
in a way that when a replay (of any kind) is done, the channel is
"de-tuned", so this can't cause errors anymore. When there are
"backup-devices" (plugins) like analogtv or streamdev, switching to one of
those instead of restarting.

Anyway, did you try to define an "undefined" channel in your config? (a
channel which pid's don't exist). Switching to that one usually causes the
picture to get black and VDR doesn't worry about any DVB-datastreams
anymore, so you could watch a recording uninterrupted :)

> So VDR is far away from QoS.

It works fine here (that means I don't have to use a
keyboard/screen/remoteshell for everyday use and it doesn't crash) :-)

Greetings,
Sascha Volkenandt