[vdr] Re: Annoying EMERGENCY EXITs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rene Bartsch" <ml@bartschnet.de>
To: "VDR-ML" <vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 10:01 PM
Subject: [vdr] Annoying EMERGENCY EXITs

> Hi,
>
> we have a nice weather out here with lightnings.
>
> This causes VDR to restart and reload the driver once per minute
for the
> last hour! This also causes high load on the server up to 100%
(zig-zag
> scanning from driver up to 40%, insmodding 90 %, ...)
>
> So I think it is important to overwork the error-handling in VDR.
>
> VDR should differ which kind of error it has. I think only one out
of
> 200 hundred restarts is really caused by the driver.
>
> So VDR is far away from QoS.

I want to sign this, but without complaning about vdr at all. It is
a fine piece of software.
But i think, the combination of dvb and vdr is still far away from
beeing stable (which means runs always and anytime without errors).
I have still unreproduceable errors under different circumstances
(which prevent me from posting them here). I do not programm code,
so i cannot sign this problems toward the dvb or the vdr part, but
this is, what matters. Vdr is nothing without the dvb part and vice
versa. Its the combination. For me, there is too much patching, too
much plugins. I would love to have a rock solid package with
timeshift and a few plugins, which almost everyone (but not Klaus)
uses.

Gruss

Stephan