[vdr] VDR recordings cut and convert to (s)vcd or dvd

Hello,

Since last week I am an user of vdr. It is a great program. All the problems I
had with my analogue TV-card are gone. EPG is very comfortable - is it normal
to see only the todays TV-program? Anyway.
My wish is to cut and to archive some recordings. But I have no clue about it.
The format of *.vdr is mpeg-pes - ok -mplayer can play it.
But how to convert to a "normal" mpg file. Normal means here compatible with
vcdimager or for later for DVD-format.(vob)
I tried a little bit with ffmpeg, but I was not successful.
Does anybody  know, how to cut and merge vdr files?
Background is following. I plan to record a daily regional newsmagazine
(45min) for one week. I expect a short report about friends and me.
At the end I want to have a film containing only daily short reports in a
format usable at least on every PC, better also an every DVD-player and
hopefully fitted in to one disk.

Regards,
Thomas Schäfer