[vdr] KVDR with DXR3?

I have VDR working beautifully through a DXR3 card (with a Nova-T) onto my TV
set - congratulations to all the developers on producing this software.

However, what I really need to be able to do is to have this working on a
monitor so I've started playing with KVDR.  When I run this it complains about
being unable to open /dev/video0, which definitely exists as a file with the
correct permissions but I guess isn't linked correctly to any v4l device.

So my question is - can the DXR3 card act as this device and, if so, how do I
set this up?  If not, is there any other application that I can use?  I'm also
looking at MythTV which has rudimentary DVB support.

Thanks for any help.