[vdr] Re: DXR3 overlay - why the interference?

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 09:33, ansalmo@dsl.pipex.com wrote:
> I'm still keen to get VDR working on my monitor and have a Nova-T and DXR3
> combo, so can't use KVDR.  I've used dxr3view to display the overlay image on-
> screen and get a picture with interference along all picture edges (seemingly
> where there are large colour changes).  OSD is perfect, and the picture
> directly beneath the OSD looks fine too.  Areas "inside" an object (e.g. hair
> on a person's head) is perfect, though there are interference areas around eyes
> and noses etc.
>
> I've used MPlayer's DXR3 overlay with absolutely no problems, and I've tweaked
> all of dxr3view's configurable items with no luck.
>
> So I wondered if anyone had any vague ideas why this happens, or pointers as to
> where I could start looking?  I'm a newbie with DVB stuff, but develop C++
> applications commercially so I don't mind getting my hands dirty.

Hmmm...I have a similar setup to you and I don't remember seeing any
intereference like that! What I usually see is a very unstable picture
with lots of flickering. If I run dxr3view several times, it seems to
'lock on' to something and I get a pretty much perfect picture. It is
stable for at least a few hours once this has been achieved. If I stop
dxr3view and run it again, it's back to the flickery picture again!

I'm guessing that something is not synchronising properly in the em8300
driver?

Maybe!

I have yet to try the proper TV out on the card, mainly due to laziness!

Normally, I view stuff using my own scripts which use a combination of
dvbstream and mplayer (not through the dxr3 card), and record with cron
jobs! Vdr is much nicer though!

Cheers,

Laz