[vdr] Re: Increasing SDRAM on DVB cards

> Take a look at page 13 of the AV7110 data sheet, which shows its
> memory map. The SDRAM is at CC000000-CDFFFFFF, while the DRAM is
> at 2E000000-2FFFFFFF.

ok ok ok, RTFM ;-)

> Well, since SDRAM goes from CC000000-CDFFFFFF and only half of that
> address space is currently used, your suggestion might work _if_
> there are actually enough address lines connected.

you can be shure that enough adress lines are connected .. this is not
an linear adress bus, insteed an multiplexed is used (ROW & COLUMN)
and we know that the full 2mb are allready accessable (fairly yes !!)
we know from the specs of the mem chip, that A0-A10 in row mode
and A0-A7 in colum mode is used.
that mean, we need an chip that is pin-compatible and uses
also ROW-A0-A10 and COLLUMN-A0-A8 and the onboard adress
decoder should JUST SIMPLE WORK (TM) ;-)

> However, since the
> AV7110 has two explicit SCS lines (SCS1 and SCS2) I would assume that
> it can handle either one or two 2MB chips, each connected to its very
> own SCSn line.

yes that could also be true and done, but that would need additional
handling
of the memory .. normaly there are programable shadowregister that check
if an adress is on chip 1 or 2 and sets the PINS automaticaly .. or the are
using
another way for hardware or software adressdecoding or even both :-o
trust me avoid such an aprouch if possible !!!

> But I'm just guessing here... Maybe you're actually on the right track.
> But then again, what would the SCS2 pin be for?

it would be for an second IC, but my "way" is to use an even greater
chip that replaces the one on the board

hermann