[vdr] Re: Increasing SDRAM on DVB cards

Of
> Stefaan Coddé
> Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 8:21 AM
>

> Gregoire Favre wrote:
>

> >> NO!!  connect the scart rgb signal to your tv!
> >You have to build a scart adapter, and my graphic card come already
> with one... so YES ;-)
>
> There are not so many video cards with a RGB output, unless you have a
> DVI output and a special cable.
> All usual ways is to send the s-video signal to the scart connector.
>
> Another thing : the video card has usual also a fan and there are a
> bunch of users who want a silent
> solution so if possible no fan at all.

There are passive coolers for graphic cards available (visit
www.zalman.co.kr). I agree that most cards don´t have an RGB output, but
nevertheless, I also see the future of VDR in using a graphics card for
the OSD instead of the TV-out of the DVBs.

Just 2 reasons:
- I am also one of the Nexus users, so I will never get an RGB output.
The 1.3 gets too hot and is out of production, and I don´t believe that
the 1.6 still is in production, so the future of the DVBs is the v2.x
board layout. Don´t know if Hauppauge/Technotrend will change the layout
any further but I think current and further designs are caused by
changes in the component delivery and not by feature enhancements - the
v2.x IMHO is a step back and not forward. So sending the overlay of
KVDR, XAWTV etc. directly to the TV-out of a graphics card and giving
this out via SVideo might be a solution. Concerning Matrox cards: Only
the P650, P750 and Parhelia offer a 10-Bit overlay, so the older models
have a worse quality.
- The OSD is limited. Although increasing the SDRAM gives you more
colours, I doubt, that you can speed it up etc. So I doubt that MHP
applications will work once only on a DVBs/Nexus without the help of a
graphics card - you rather will take KVDR, XAWTV or anything else with a
built in MHP interpreter. Additionally, this might also be a hardware
independent DVB solution that also many people are thinking about (I
would also like to use a TwinHan, KNCOne or Nova as additional device or
on a different machine; DXR3 users might also not benefit of the
increased OSD). Additionally, I also don´t believe that too many people
will modify their expensive DVBs (maybe I would try this nevertheless
:-)).
Before a lot of people tell me that MHP is not important: Currently, I
agree. But as modern HD recorders will be able to skip every
advertisement, MHP might be the solution for providing advertisement. To
establish MHP not only as a advertisement platform, I am sure, that
there will also be additionally "useful" content, so I think next year a
lot of people will want any kind of MHP support in VDR or VDR frontends
especially if this is available on set-top-boxes.

Jörg