[vdr] Re: Increasing SDRAM on DVB cards

hi oliver

> Yes. At least we agree that we do not agree. :-)
thats a good starting point ;-)

> It would be really nice if you are right, but nowhere in the AV7110
> datasheet is written that you can connect chips larger than 1Mx16.
> Ok, maybe these chips were not available when the AV7110 was designed.

in the meantime, i think too there is no way for using a greater chip
because even the existed not at this time, the would have been
marked as future extension .. and the memory area is only called
"reserved" .. nothing more .. nothing less ..
this is classical for a new ongoing hardware revision of the av7110
that would then support this ... (from my "little" expierience ;-)

> You can write a small ARM application, load it and find out which
> addresses assert CS at the SDRAM chip...
> I'll do this as soon as my time permits.

i think that the docu says which adress does select which CS
... but what you can test is, use an logic probe an hook up to
the line A8 or A9 and compare the signals to A1 or so
because on A8 or A9 could be COLLUMN adress signals even
out of the 1F:FFFF (2M) address range in the high mem erea
if they are there .. the chip does decode even the "reserved"
part of the addressspace .. of course a testprogramm which
selects memory in this area is needed..

not a great info .. but an info ;-)

> I simply tried to say that the chip select lines might not be available
> (SCS2), and you cannot create your own chip select because the upper
> address lines are not available (A31..A25).

yes .. agreed :-)

> > that is THE CLASSICAL MISTAKE ;-) .. A0-A11 are 12 lines, not 11 :-)
> WRONG, I simply looked at the HY57V161610D datasheet and noticed
> A0..A11. Unfortunately I forgot the BA signal, so we have 12 address
> lines at the RAM chip. So I made a mistake but not the one you think.
> ;-)

maybe .. maybe not .. but A0-A11 are 12 lines at it alone .. without your
"BA" signal ... the zero counts one extra ... :-)

hermann