[vdr] Re: Increasing SDRAM on DVB cards

Hermann Gausterer wrote:
> in the meantime, i think too there is no way for using a greater chip
> because even the existed not at this time, the would have been
> marked as future extension .. and the memory area is only called
> "reserved" .. nothing more .. nothing less ..
> this is classical for a new ongoing hardware revision of the av7110
> that would then support this ... (from my "little" expierience ;-)

Well, on our boards we have AV7111 chips. The datasheet covers the
AV7110 and might be incorrect or inaccurate in some areas.

> > You can write a small ARM application, load it and find out which
> > addresses assert CS at the SDRAM chip...
> > I'll do this as soon as my time permits.
>
> i think that the docu says which adress does select which CS
> ... but what you can test is, use an logic probe an hook up to
> the line A8 or A9 and compare the signals to A1 or so
> because on A8 or A9 could be COLLUMN adress signals even
> out of the 1F:FFFF (2M) address range in the high mem erea
> if they are there .. the chip does decode even the "reserved"
> part of the addressspace .. of course a testprogramm which
> selects memory in this area is needed..
>
> not a great info .. but an info ;-)

But this will only help if we can
- access SCS2 or
- reprogram SCS1 for an 4 MB range. (*)

(*) just an idea:
For Net+ARM processors the chip selects signals can be programmed by
software. Perhaps this works with the AV7110, too. Maybe the chip
selects are simply programmed by the RTL firmware to match the values
in the datasheet. Could be checked with the test program...

> > I simply looked at the HY57V161610D datasheet and noticed
> > A0..A11. Unfortunately I forgot the BA signal, so we have 12

Should read A0..A10.

> maybe .. maybe not .. but A0-A11 are 12 lines at it alone .. without
> your "BA" signal ... the zero counts one extra ... :-)

Sorry, just a typo: A0..A10 + BA = 12 lines. I should be more careful.

Oliver