[vdr] Re: Loglimit needed

Egalus wrote:

> I just wondered why my / got filled up to the limit in about 5 hours of
> time (was all normal at that time).
> Answer: a 3 GB /var/log/messages
>
> Why got that file that big?
> Answer: from 15:30 to 16:30 I got almost only "ring buffer overflow (188
> bytes dropped)" messages in the log. So many a second that I can't even
> count it in screens. That blew my /var/log/messages about 2.9 GB (in
> just one hour) and it only stopped cause my / was full.

Are you sure that it was just this one message or were there two (or
more) messages alternating? I ask because *one* repeating message should
be prevented by syslog. It should print something like "message repeated
X times" instead.

> So I suggest a max number of logentrys for the same error per minute
> (like iptables logs can be trimmed for example) or a fix for the ring
> buffer overflow error ;)

Yes, if such error conditions can occur such massive logging should be
avoided.

> But surely it should not happen that one application can spam
> /var/log/messages in such a way.

Actually, yes it can happen. That's why one should have /var on a
separate partition.

Cheers,
Juri