[vdr] Re: CAM problems - revisited

Hi Martin, all CAM users,

> > AFAICR the rev >1.4 CI board has an even newer CiMax chip on
> > it and the board layout of the CI changed, too. All people I
> > can remember having a rev >1.4 CI board never got the LL
> > firmware to work.

> I can't confirm this. I have a CI-Slot 3,5" Rev. 1.6 (connected to a
> nexus-s 2.1) and this combination works without errors with LL-Firmware
> during live-view/recording. Sometimes I  see errors when i try to access
> the CAM-Menu (but i don't use this very often).

This is *very* interesting. You would be the first (in my knowledge ;o))
to get a Rev 1.6 CI to work. Please do check the CiMax chip number
and report back. What CAM are you using?

Maybe we should extend the CAM list which Klaus started (everyone
who has a CAM *must* report in order to pin the problems down) to
be able to track the true problem down.

I do know that even in commercial STBs CAMs can present a major
headache (i.e. some CAMs simply *won't* work in a specific STB). I
assume the bus connection (soft & hardware) and the exchange
protocoll is timing & voltage sensitive. It may well be that some CAM
and / or  STB manufacturers reverse engineer a design and just change
a few  things in the basic (to prevent a lawsuit). design. Doing so may
cause troubles with certain CAM / STB combinations simply because
these combos run "out-of-spec".

It most certainly would be interesting to find out if there is a CAM out
there that is *mostly* trouble free. In the case of the Alphacrypt only
a minor code change was necessary (took me a while to find it, tho ;o))
Let's hope that the same goes for all the other trouble making CAM &
CI combinations. I just wish there was more open information available
on CAMS and the CI ;o( For us it is difficult to say where the *real*
problem is. I.e is it the CAM? the CI? the CIMAX?, the firmware (of
either the CAM or DVB)?, etc. W/o knowing the true troublemaker
it will be hard to provide a solution that works for everyone.

Greetz,
Reinhard

---
Mail is certified Virus Free.