[vdr] Re: dbox2 -> dreambox ?

Uwe Heinrich wrote:

>> > The hardware is really nice, but the software part is really lousy.

>> > In my eyes vdr is _the_ killer application for this machine!
>>
>> a friend told me that it is not THAT bad, there is the option to grab

>> from the disk (wiljo´s pvas can handle this streams too) afaik one
>> "problem" is that the hdd and network using the same irq and for that

>> reason its not possible to use hdd and network together without
>> problems
>>

>I had a dreambox for 3 months. If you only like to watch tv- it's ok.
>And if you're looking for some sc it's ok, too.
>But >if your (at least my) wife isn't able to work with the menus,
>because they are neither logical nor simple- _then_ this machine isn't
>good for peace at home.
>And this d**** thing deceided itself wether to record a broadcast or
not......

>I'm returning to a vdr-pc because- for my needs- it's the best
compromize.
>I only thought, that a vdr on a nice looking, small, ready-made sat-box
>could be the dot on the i ("tüpfelchen auf dem i").

I've posted this before, there is excellent software for nokia
mediamaster 9200,9500 and 9600.
Unfortunatly, the software is not maintained anymore but I guess that
the programmer has reached
the maximum that he could get out of this box.
You still can download DVB2000 from various sources.
Easy to use menu (incl favorites list), fast teletext, quick channel
change
and for those who can spend the extra euro's to buy a scsi harddisk also
harddisk recording.
It's as stable as a rock, something that VDR is still missing a bit,
entirely written in 68K assembler
and very good optimized code. Auto transponder search, search on all
transonders, auto pid/pmd/sid.
Scanning an entire sattelite can take approx 30 minutes but that with
just one command.
Expert mode : here you have access to all settings which are far more
then the original software does.
NTSC on the D-box? Sure. Full featured EPG? Sure, means 24hours epg data
Want to store more teletext pages/channel info, just insert the ram into
the free ram socket .

You can upload it via serial connection (not all dbox versions support
this)
or and optional BDM interface.
Well, optional, kinda do it yourself.

If SCSI devices where not so expensive, then I would stick to my nokia
mediamatsre 9500.
But ....times do change so, VDR has still a big future ahead.

I would rather see some things from the DVB2000 software in VDR like the
advanced channel searching
and auto pid/pmt/sid detection.