[vdr] Re: HD speed requirements

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, [ISO-8859-1] Lars Bläser wrote:

>Jan Ekholm wrote:
>> The most I/O-intensive we've so far done is two simultaneous recordings
>> and one replay (timeshift + extra recording), and the 7200 rpm disk has
>> done that without any problems.
>
> i?m doing the same with my system (2 dvb-s) and a 5400 disk, if you
>take the numbers
>
> ~ 3 x 5 MBBit/s = 15 MBit/s = < 2 MByte/s
>
>even in random access mode this is no problem

Hmm, seems I had miscalculated the amount of I/O needed for recordings,
clearly it seems a normal 5400 rpm disk manages all data we need in our
VDR box.

>if you only have space for 1 disk
>how about a maxtor 250GB / 5400 for 269.00 EUR

I don't really need that much space, currently we have 50G and that's more
than enough. We don't need to save recordings that long.

Thanks for the hints, guys and girls, I think I can safely "upgrade" my
disk to a 5400 rpm one that runs slower, cooler and more silently.

--
  Om began to feel the acute depression that steals over every realist
       in the presence of an optimist.