[vdr] Re: can the osd be accessed by a separate pthread?

Gunnar Roth <gunnar.roth@gmx.de> wrote:

> I am curious if the osd cann be accessed from a separate pthread.
> i thought that should not be done. but i had a look into the games
> plugin and it does just that.
> it opens the osd by calling OpenRaw in its thread. is this really
> possible, or better, is this allowed?

this is no problem. i tell you what really happens:

1. vdr starts the games plugin.
2. the plugin spawns its own "main thread".
3. the main thread opens the raw osd.

from now on this is the only instance, that does access the osd, so no
problem.

> if not, how can a plugin draw an animated osd graphic smootly? i doubt
> that doing the drawing on kNone gives a smooth result.

i guess kNone just comes to unregulary to use this.

> furthermore this plugin, doesnt wait until the thread really ends, but
> simply the the running flag to falls, on BACK-KEY press and returns
> from PROCESS key.
> it doubt that this is a correct behaviour. im all new to pthreads on
> linux so i cannt estimate what can be done and what not.

when you fall out of the main thread, what do you want to wait for?
when it ends, it ends. nothin more, nothing less. :-)

best regards ...
clemens