[vdr] Re: problems with ASUS a7v8x-x and vdr -> artifacts inrecordings

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Rene Bartsch wrote:

> Am Die, 2003-06-24 um 00.11 schrieb Manuel Hartl:
> > > vdr 1.2.1 with DVB-driver 17.06.2003 with Suse 7.3 Prof., DVB-S 1.3,
> > > Seagate 380021A (80G), 265 MB-DDR.
> > > Is there anybody out there who own's an a7v8x-x or who could help me?
> > > I think it's not a problem with my dish, because with my old gigabyte
> > > 7zxe everything works fine.
> > > Please help.
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > i?ve got an a7n8x (rev2) deluxe. i can test it. wait a few days.
> > do you have the same problems with other mainboards?
>
> Check interrupt conflicts and try setting PCI latency to 128.

A7V8* and A7N8* have completely different chipsets (VIA vs. nVidia) so the
results of your test probably mean nothing. That still doesn't mean you
couldn't try it out. :)

I've said this before, but I've had problems using my Nova-T card with VIA
chipsets up to KT266A. The same card which I couldn't get to work
properly on an old VIA Socket 7 motherboard or an A7V226-C no matter what
I tried worked perfectly on a SiS chipset Athlon board and my current
motherboard which is nVidia nForce 220D based A7N266-VM.

With the VIA chipsets dvbtune just showed tons of errors unless I
simultaneously either piped the video to DXR3 card via MPlayer or
transferred something with the network card. At some point a simple dd
if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null seemed to reduce the errors, but the stream
still had dropouts. This could also suggest a problem with Linux kernel
regarding VIA chipsets.

So, I'm not going to ever buy an VIA chipset board again unless I get
proof that someone has a working Linux based DVB-T setup on a VIA chipset.
If someone does, could you please tell us about it?

	-jake

--
Jarkko Santala <jake@iki.fi>            http://www.iki.fi/~jake/
System Administrator                    2001:670:83:f08::/64