[vdr] Re: cheap remote-receiver any good?

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 anaxares@gmx.de wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to build a second PC with VDR.
> As a remote receiver in my first PC I have IRMAN. That one is really
> good, all commands are received, regardless the load of the CPU.
> A friend of mine has a "cheap" receiver, where the commands are decoded
> by CPU, he has severe problems like pressing a button several times
> before the command gets recognized.
> Now IRMAN is expensive, so I am reluctant to buy it again.
>
> --> Has anyone made good experience (means: no problems) with a cheap
> remote-receiver?

I'm using a cheap receiver that connects directly to the IR port on the
motherboard without problems. The only bad thing about is that the usable
range is quite short, two meters max.

Key presses get thru just fine, sometimes even too well because the
remote I'm using (a programmable remote that came with my Pioneer A/V
receiver) seems to be slightly too eager to resend the commands over and
over again if you press the button down for too long. ;)

OTOH my VDR box isn't a very low end box, it has a Athlon XP1700+
processor. Sometimes problems caused by too much load can also be avoided
by using a pre-emptive kernel (kernelnewbies.org is a good place to
search for patches).

	-jake

--
Jarkko Santala <jake@iki.fi>            http://www.iki.fi/~jake/
System Administrator                    2001:670:83:f08::/64