[vdr] Re: Improving VDR's OSD

Zitat von Gavin Hamill <gdh@acentral.co.uk>:
> > What I would like to improve a bit is the look of the osd. The osd is very
> > functional, but compared to neutrino for example, it is a bit drab.
>
> Yep, it is, but there's very little you can do to improve it... the OSD is
> very restricted because of the available memory in the SDRAM.  Please follow
> the recent thread about increasing the RAM size for an exciting romp :)
Yes, I read about it.

> Basically, a 256 colour full-screen OSD will only be possible if the SDRAM on
> the DVB card is increased, otherwise what VDR does at present (4 colours in
> the main screen and 16 on the 'button bar') is the best you can expect, with
> perhaps a small '256 colour window'.
16 colours for the hole osd would be ok. I think neutrino doesn't use more than
that. In my optinion it is not the number of colours that should be increased,
but if you choose a palette of similar i.e. blue colours and a bit grey, that
would look much better. Just think about replacing the aggressive cyan bar at
the top of the menu by light blue. ;)

Aside from that I would think about changing the 'button bar' from coloured
areas to little coloured dots with the text beside it.

> If you think you can create themes within those constraints, then good luck
> :)
I don't know, but it's worth a thought!

Gruss,
  Ollie.