[vdr] Re: Improving VDR's OSD

Zitat von Thomas Keil <tk@commedia-group.com>:
> > What I would like to improve a bit is the look of the osd. The osd is
> > very functional, but compared to neutrino for example, it is a bit
> > drab.
> We're all aware of that, but it seems there's currently nothing we can do
> about it.
>
> Neutrino's OSD looks so good because it uses the DBox's Framebuffer device
> (if I remember that correctly), the OSD is thus integrated by the OS into the
> MPEG-Stream.
>
> VDR uses the DVB-Cards OSD-capabilities und leaves integrating it into the
> stream to the card itself - the only method you can rely on since not
> everyone has a TV-out capable graphics card.
A TV-out capable graphic card is not really an option. It should be done via the
DVB-Card.

> The OSD is somewhat limited since the memory on the DVB-card is just 2M large
> and has to be shared with the driver.
>
> There have been thoughts about increasing that memory here in the list to be
> able to render a full-size 256 color OSD, but it apparantly is impossible.
Do you think that the osd of the DVB's is so much limited, that it is not
possible to change some colours (resp. the palette) ? I'm shure that neutrino
uses only 16 colours, too. But those colours are more well-chosen, I think.
That's what makes it looking great (besides some nice little 'graphics').

Gruss,
  Ollie.