[vdr] Re: Improving VDR's OSD

Hi,

On Friday 27 June 2003 12:02, you wrote:
> > > Basically, a 256 colour full-screen OSD will only be possible if the
> > > SDRAM on the DVB card is increased, otherwise what VDR does at present
> > > (4 colours in the main screen and 16 on the 'button bar') is the best
> > > you can expect, with perhaps a small '256 colour window'.
> >
> > 16 colours for the hole osd would be ok. I think neutrino doesn't use
> > more than that. In my optinion it is not the number of colours that
> > should be increased, but if you choose a palette of similar i.e. blue
> > colours and a bit grey, that would look much better. Just think about
> > replacing the aggressive cyan bar at the top of the menu by light blue.
> > ;)
>
> 16 colors (4bit) over the whole area is not possible. VDR's OSD has 4bit
> only in the bottom line, to display the colors. The rest is 2bit (top line
> is a window, middle part is a window)
> To have more colors, you will have to use a smaller area for OSD which is
> bad IMO.
And please keep in mind, that there are also some other output devices (e.g.
the dxr3-plugin) which couldn't handle more colors. And don't ask me how much
colors the DXR3 could handle. The palette has 16 entries, so this is the
maximum, but they could only be used if the colors are not too heavily mixed
together because the DXR3-plugin has to search for reagions with 4 colors
max. and the numbers of such regions are limited.

Greetings
Stefan.