[vdr] Re: Improving VDR's OSD

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 09:15:56AM +0200, Oliver Kuhl wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> First of all I want to say that vdr is really great!
>
> What I would like to improve a bit is the look of the osd. The osd is very
> functional, but compared to neutrino for example, it is a bit drab.
>
> I am interested in improving the look of the osd a bit and my question is, if
> vdr has something like "templates" or if the hole osd programming is strewn at
> large in the code?
>
> Klaus, do you think it is very complicated to work on the osd? What do you think
> about it in general? Maybe it is possible to create themes...

This is one of the things I want to address in version 1.3.x.
It shall be possible to configure or completely re-implement
the entire OSD from a plugin, so that people can just go nuts
without having to patch the core VDR code.

Keep in mind, though, that the DVB card's OSD is rather limited,
and the DXR3 card's capabilities are, AFAIK, even more limited.
I am planning to make the OSD implementation interface fully
virtual, so that you will theoretically be able to implement
a full screen 256 color OSD - but whether or not the actual
hardware will be able to display this will depend on what the
actual system consists of. There will be a way for a plugin to
detect the current hardware capabilities and maybe refuse to
implement the "bells and whistles" OSD.

Klaus