[vdr] Re: Network proxy for DVD, lirc and lcd

Hi Salze,

> There was an artikel in the c't some time ago about a central vdr-Server
> with multiple DVBs serving several people in the house. I'm not sure I fully
> understood what you want to do...but that artikel might be a good read anyway.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try to get my hands on that article. Pretty
much what I'm trying to do is to not just centralize the DVB-cards on a
server but also to use the cpu-power of the server for decoding divX
etc. To do so has a few advantages:
-The clients will be very cheap as the simples via epia board will do.
-The client will be absolutely silent which would get quite expensive to
 achive with regular pc-hardware.
-When they come out with new compression techniques that will need a lot
 more cpu then todays divX I don't have to upgrade all the clients with
 expensive silent hardware, but only the server with cheap mainstream
 components.

I want to achive this by taking the video signal from my DVB in the
server -> feed it into the tv-cable network in my house (thats what the
Twin Modulator is for) -> and then recive the signal in the other rooms
with regular tvs.
Using this setup will have to drawback that I wont have a dvd-drive, an
irda-reciver or an lcd at the tvs. I'll also only have stereo sound an
no dolby 5.1. That's why I'm looking for network proxies for these
devices, so that it will look to the server as if they were connected
right to it. I hope this helps you to understand what I'm trying to do.

Of ocurse I'd also love to do the video and audio streaming over the
network in mpeg1 or 2 and then use a dxr3 to docode it at the clients,
but I belive this is not possible, at least not yet. As far as I
understood the stream-plugin only makes a DVB-card in the server appear
to the client, as if it was a local one. So this wont help to decode
divX etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong or let me know if anybody has
an idea how to do this.

CU
	Oliver