[vdr] Re: Network proxy for DVD, lirc and lcd

Hi again!

> that is what the c't article is about. The only drawback that I see is
> Picture Quality - not so good compared with S-Video.
I know, thats what I don't really like about it, too. Especially with
HDTV an what ever else comming up this does not really sound like an
expandable soulution. Dolby 5.1 also would not work (guess I already
mentioned it).

> >Using this setup will have to drawback that I wont have a dvd-drive, an
> >irda-reciver or an lcd at the tvs.
>
> c't has build a LIRC-reciver-box that can send the signals over Network
> (IIRC) to the Server. I have not seen anything about this again in c't
> since the mentioned article, but they promissed to "release" it some time.
> DVD is a problem - but here you can take a standalone model for 70 Euro's
> ;) - works better than the DVD plugin.
Now that is something very intersting. The article you are talking about
is probably in ct Nr. 7. Just bought todays ct. It also has an article
on vdr in it and they mentioned the other issue.

> >I'll also only have stereo sound an
> >no dolby 5.1.
>
> Thats the only thing I am not sure how to do (except very long optical
> cable - only one place). If you find a solution - please publish it here :)
Mayby just came up with something (see video lan below). I'll keep all
of you posted if I finde a good solution.

> The DivX thing is also done on the Server in the c't description. They
> just start several instances of VDR each with it's own DVB- card. There is
> a third (or maybe even 4'th) card for recordings (IIRC). They programm
> recordings over vdradmin only.
> So when you watch DivX it is done on the Server and the picture is send
> via the Twin modulator to the TV.
Thats the way I was planning to do it, too.

Anyway, reading the article I found out that by pointing xawtv to the
right /dev/videoX I can watch the vdr-output on my vga including OSD
etc. First of all this solves another problem on how to output to my vga
but that is not the point here... I did not know that was possible.
Anyway, after figuring this out, the videolan (www.videolan.org) project
popped into my head. I knew I could output streams of a DVB to the
network but now I thought this might also support video4linux and it
seams like it does
(http://www.videolan.org/doc/videolan-howto/softencoding.html).
Now I'll try to stream vdr including osd and sound in mpeg1 over the
network. Hopefully the stream will include all the info for dolby 5.1,
but I guess it will. And if this works I'll try to get the network proxy
stuff for lirc, lcd and dvd working.

I'll keep you posted on what is going on. It might take a while as I
really have to do a ton of Work for college and I have spent the last
days and nights playing around with vdr and searching the web.

> I have no Idea if the 2 VDR instances can play DivX at the same time !?
good question!

Thanks again for your help!
CU
	Oliver