[vdr] Re: Hauppauge DVB-S rev1.3 : temperature info? - flex PCI riser

Guido Fiala wrote:

>>On Saturday, 12. July 2003 16:54, Stefaan Coddé wrote:
>> I still have to wait 5 weeks before I can continue to built up my
>> system (heat pipes) so therefor this..rather odd question.
>>
>> I know that the tuner of Rev1.3 get's hot and that there is something

>> like ARM crashing.
>>
>> Now: What part get's really hot..meaning, which ones heat up the
>> system temperature too much ?
>>
>> The Philips vista VES1893A single chip DVB-S receiver which makes
part
>> of the tuner? The Texis instruments DSP?
>> The philips SAA 7146A bridge?
>>

>Just a hint for you - maybe the card does'nt become as hot if it
does'nt need
>to feed the LNB itself but just control an external switch???
>
>like to build a similar system myself too...

Perhaps a nice idea but then you need an active switch. There are also
passive
switches that are powered by the tuner.

I did read on a vdr forum that the DSP can get hot too but i've tested
this system
in open air and that was no prioblem but there's a hudge difference
between open air setup
and closed chassis.

I don't use a commercial chassis...that's why it takes so long but this
case can dissipate
more then enough by two huge passive heatsinks and approx 2000
ventilation holes.

I don't like the horizontal mounting cause this make it far more
difficult towards
the cooling aspect. So, a PCI riser with flex(kapton) board would be a
far better solution.
Now i'm stuck with heatpipe to remove any heat that goes above 40°C but
the card spec
is built according to atx spec of 35°C.

Can someone verify if the VES1893A (or similar) single chip DVB-S
receiver is mounted
inside the tuner or outside the tuner on Rev1.6 boards?