[vdr] Playback question?

Hello all,
Im new to vdr and was considering building one now that a card supports
sydney standards, The only question i got is, How many cards will i need .I
was reading over the new features of 1.2.* and i noticed it now supports the
following ,
a.. Multiple recordings on the same device
a.. Simultaneous recording and replay on the primary device
The problem is the card that supports my requirements is the "Lorenzen SL
DVB-T PCI", Which doesnt have a built in mpeg decoder on it. I WAS planning
to use the dxr3 plugin and use either dxr3 or hollywoodplus card for mpeg
decoding.
I want my vdr box to be able to record/play at the same time aswell as puase
live tv etc.

Anyway any advice would be great

Dylan D.