[vdr] Direct AC-3 yes or no ?

Hi ML

Again a question to the well discussed topic AC-3 through the S/P-DIF on the DVB-S.
My aim is to setup a full featured VDR-PC, with mp3-, divx-support and so on.
After reading a lot of postings, I think it's actually not possible to bring the "live" (I mean while I'm watching the actual TV-Broadcast and no recording) AC-3 from the DVB-S to the external amplifier without a loop through an alsa-supported soundcard.
And I don't know, if the mp3-plugin has the ability to bring the sound to the S/P-DIF of the DVB-S.
The only program I found supporting this feature, was mplayer.
I know that it's possible to watch recordings with AC-3 using a soundcard and that the mp3-and even mplayer can use the soundcard, too. But with mplayer using the soundcard as outputdevice, I have nearly 100% CPU-Load. Using the DVB-S as output I have only up to 60%.
I can solve the problem with to cables fro the PC to the amplifier. But in fact, I want to eliminate the soundcard and save connectors at the amplifier for other devices.
Can someone tell me exactly that I'm right, or is their a solution to eliminate the soundcard?

Here's something about my system:

Mainboard: Elitegroup K7S5
CPU: AMD Thunderbird 1400
RAM: 256MB